Georgia United Foundation


Phone: 770.476.6409

Address: 6705 Sugarloaf Parkway,  Duluth, GA 30097

Quick Links

© 2020 Georgia United Credit Union Foundation

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

Need Assistance With Preparing Your Taxes?

Appointment Update: Unfortunately, due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and its potential impact on the University of Georgia's campus, all VITA appointments have been canceled for the semester. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. We encourage you to make alternate arrangements to have your taxes prepared elsewhere during this unforeseen situation.

  • Here is a link to a "free file" tax preparation site sponsored by the IRS as a potential resource.

  • For those taxpayers who have questions about their tax return and would like to discuss it with someone, UGA has offered you the opportunity to send your contact information to and they can schedule a time to call you.


The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) is an annual partnership with the University of Georgia’s College of Family & Consumer Sciences, Dalton State College and the IRS to provide free income tax preparation and filing for consumers of moderate income. Georgia United Foundation provides funding, use of Georgia United Credit Union's Athens and Dalton branches, and online appointment reservations to support this program from late January through mid-April each year. 2019 marked the 14th year of this partnership that provided approximately 3,500 community residents free tax preparation and filing services. 


Before Making An Appointment
  1. Review all information below before scheduling an appointment to ensure you will have the information required to complete the return by the appointment time selected. 

  2. For married filing joint, both taxpayer and the taxpayer spouse must be present to sign the return.

  3. The VITA program is open to all low and moderate income taxpayers who do not have depreciable assets, business losses, extensive stock transactions, or are required to file as a “Non-Resident”.  

  4. A quick reference guide to IRS limitations is available at, search publication 3676-B. 

  5. Click here to see if you may qualify for “Free Tax” and file your return using IRS approved software. 

Important Information

To Bring

  • Proof of identification

  • Social Security Cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification notices/cards for you, your spouse and/or dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration

  • Your birth date and birth dates of your spouse and/or dependents

  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers

  • Interest and dividend statements from banks or credit unions (Forms 1099)

  • Records of earnings (Forms 1099 and/or cash) from self-employment and expenses related to self-employment income

  • A copy of last year's federal and state returns.  If not available, you can obtain a Tax Return Transcript at and download a copy of your federal return immediately 

  • Documents supporting itemized deductions, child/dependent care, etc., where applicable

  • Account and routing numbers for Direct Deposit purposes

  • Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Healthcare Statements